Saturday, August 14, 2010

Mastering the Chicken

I've never cooked a whole chicken before.  Never.  In fact, I've made it a point not to.  However, as I was perusing through the meat section of Safeway the other day I decided, now that I'm a mom, it was probably time for me to face my fear.  Plus, Foster Farms whole chickens were on sale for $0.79 a pound.  I couldn't pass that up.

 
I don't really have a good pan to cook a chicken in the oven, so I decided to use my crock pot.  Plus, you can pretty much put anything in a crock pot on low for a few hours and it'll be delicious.  I found a recipe online and got to work.

Step One: Remove giblets.  Wait, WHAT?!?  What's a giblet?  I think I've changed my mind.  This is why I've never cooked a whole chicken.  You have to do things like remove the giblets.

I had a mini freak out.  But then I gathered all my courage, found some surgical gloves, and removed those giblets.  I held my breath, gagged, and closed my eyes through most of it, but I did it.

Step Two: Add apple slices and cubed butter to the chicken's cavity.  Well, after the giblets, this was a breeze.  Soon my chicken was stuffed to capacity.

Step Three: Coat both sides of chicken with olive oil and sprinkle with seasoning salt.  By now my whole chicken confidence was swooning.  I massaged that olive oil on my chicken sans gloves!

Step Four: Carefully place chicken in crock pot and top with dried onions.


Step Five: Cook on high for 2 hours, then low for 5 or 6 hours.

Step Six:  Enjoy!



I used to be the kind of girl that could never even eat meat off a bone.  Now look at me!  Removing giblets and massaging a raw chicken with my bare hands.  Who'da thought?!  Perhaps now I can truly call myself a housewife.

5 comments:

Laura said...

I had to google what a giblet was and I am proud of you. The very thought of chicken giblets make me sick. And the apple thing actually sounds good. I request this for the next time I'm at your house.

Maren and Blake said...

I've cooked a turkey, but never a chicken. It looks good. Maybe I should just have you be in charge of my chicken cookin.

Amanda said...

Wow Aud, good job. You've come a long way from your raw meat phobias. Maybe I'll try out your whole chicken recipe for Sunday dinner...except I might need you to come over and pull out the giblets...

Matt and Kristine said...

The did a provident living enrichment in our ward a few months ago. The teacher, a housewife and pioneer woman who saves every penny, de-boned a whole chicken right in front of us! It was nasty! The worst part- hearing the joints crack and bones break as she mangled it. And, she told us, we could either pay foster farms $10 to debone it, or we could save the money and just do it ourselves. Guess which one I would choose....

Gena said...

I cooked a whole chicken my first time ever last Sunday too! I think your recipe sounds better, I'll have to give it a try. And I cheated because the one I got already had the giblets removed!