Friday, September 24, 2010

Midnight Rant

Have you ever had one of those night where, despite being overwhelmingly exhausted, you couldn't sleep?  You're lying there in bed, listening to the soft snores of your husband, your dog, and your baby, thinking, "go to sleep, go to sleep, go to sleep."  And you start counting down the remaining viable sleep hours and realize that the baby could wake up at any second, which just stresses you out even more.

That's where I am now.  It's after 3 am and here I am...wide awake.  I tried everything that usually works:  listening to Chapter 3 of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, practicing the meditation techniques I learned in World Religions, drinking a big glass of milk, and listening to a Conference talk (which, sadly, almost always sends me to dreamland in mere seconds). 

With body relaxed, belly satisfied, spirituality reaffirmed (I enjoyed 3 wonderful talks), bills paid, emails answered, Facebook friends significantly stalked, I shall blog.  Maybe with this checked off my To-Do list I will finally be able to catch a few Z's.

I'd like to blog about what I've recently discovered is one of the most frustrating things in life: finding a dress to wear to a wedding.

A friend of mine is getting married this Saturday.  It will be outside and in the evening.  All I want is a simple, knee-length dress with longer-than-cap sleeves.  So far, it's been impossible.

I shopped between two malls for 5.5. hours today (thank you Austin for being so cooperative and thank you BOB for making my life that much easier).  I scoured every rack.  What did I find?  Absolutely nothing.  Of course, being a frugalista, I started on the clearance and sales racks.  But by hour 4 I was willing to pay full price (I know, I know) if I could just find something....anything.  I did try on a few dresses, but they weren't even worth settling for.  So, I left empty handed (not counting the v-neck T's I got for $1.67 each at JC Penny...my consolation prize, I suppose) and irritated.

Tomorrow, though, we're going for round two.  Wish me luck!

And, for those who humored me through this entire post, your visual reward.  Enjoy.

5 comments:

Maren and Blake said...

I am sorry about not sleeping. I totally get it. As for dress shopping. Maybe try a skirt and shirt combo. I hate dressing for church because I have nothing!

And thanks for the picture of Austin. He's just way too cute.

Matt and Kristine said...

How much time do you have before the wedding? I got an amazing dress for a great price at Downeast online. But, you would have to wait for shipping and it was cap sleeve. I'll email it to you. PS: You did everything I would do when trying to sleep, except, taking a LONG shower. The warm water is soothing and calming and you get the bonus of uninterrupted shaving time!

Amanda said...

Isn't it funny how when you're not supposed to buy anything you find like 5 dresses that you just have to have, but when you NEED one they all look like crap? The good news is you got some cheap shirts..I'll probably hit up jcp after work to see if I can find myself a friday treat. Anyway, I hope you get a nap in today...3 am is way too late to not be sleeping. P.s. that's funny about the world religion meditation...what was that weirdo teacher's name again? I'm pretty sure I got absolutely nothing out of that class.

SHAKS Watts said...

I hear you sista!! I am having the exact dilema for the exact wedding . . .

Gena said...

The same thing happens to me way too often. In fact last week, I was even surprised when, yes, I too, didn't even fall asleep to conference talks in the middle of the night. (We'll attribute it to the calm tone of those speaking...)
I hate that whenever you need something is the time you can't find it.