NOTE: I wrote this ages ago but somehow never published it...
Yep, Austin got Chickenpox. He had the vaccine, but just a couple days after we arrive in Thailand he was extremely cranky. I had never seen him so whiny. I kept apologizing to my family and assuring them that "he usually is a really happy, fun little guy!" He had a temperature above 102 and just seemed to feel ill. Then he broke out in spots. I figured they were mosquito bites since I had a few, though I'd been regularly lathering him with insect repellent. My mom said they looked like the beginning of Chickenpox.
And, sure enough, a couple days later they blistered up. Luckily, they didn't seem to bother him too much. The pre-breakout crankiness was much worse. And also, he had quite a mild case (maybe 30 Chickenpox total) because he did have the vaccine.
I have no idea where he picked the virus, but we're glad it wasn't near as bad as when I had the Chickenpox as a kid (see proof below). His were mostly on his legs and arms, with two on his face and about five on his belly and back. In fact, I had a hard time finding a picture where you could even tell he had them.
Sunday, March 11, 2012
Thailand: CHICKENPOX!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comments:
That is crazy!!! I am glad your mom was there, I would have freaked out. Our parents think stuff like that is so normal because we all went through it, but because we do not have to endure it for our kids, I would have no idea what to do. I guess that is a bad thing, but not having my children suffer because of modern day vaccines, seems like a great thing to me! Glad his case was mild and he didn't suffer too much. Btw, over my birthday weekend, my mom showed me a pic of me with chicken pox, not nearly as cute as your pic. Rather scary in fact!!!
Post a Comment