The one thing I dread about Austin growing up is all the injuries an active boy might have. Broken bones, stitches, or anything with lots of blood. Well, this week we had our first bloody "crisis." Last night Austin was playing outside. He was gathering rocks for his stash. I saw him carrying a pretty big one. He had lugged it all the way up the deck stairs when I looked down to finish the dishes. Then he started screaming. Toren rushed out there and carried Austin in -- his hand was covered in blood.
His entire thumbnail was dangling from a little piece of skin on the tip of his thumb! I pulled the fingernail off and we wrapped it in paper towels to help stop the bleeding and have a chance to help him calm down. Eventually we were able to wrap it up nicely and spoil him the rest of the night (hence the little bowl of chocolate chips). Now he's pretty proud of his "owie." But, sadly, I'm not even exactly sure how he got it.
And earlier this week Austin tripped on the deck stairs and got a real nice bloody, fat lip.
I guess this is probably just precursor of what's to come over the next 18 or so years....


1 comments:
I am sure this is the first of many injury posts to come. I always like to think that if they don't have some bruise or cut then we aren't good parents because we don't let them explore and play. He did look pretty brave for having a fingernail ripped off. I don't think either of my boys would let me wrap it. Way to go Austin!
Post a Comment