Friday, October 10, 2008

A Working Stiff

I've been a pretty unexiting blogger lately, and this time I do have an excuse: I'm a working woman!

I'm working as a substitute instructional assistant for the Oregon City School District. Instructional assistants aren't quite teachers (I'm not certified yet), but they help in classroooms - especially with special needs students and students that are far below their grade level. So, I can sub in any school in the district. I really enjoy it. Sometimes it's challenging because I feel like I don't know what I'm doing, but I also like the variety in the job. So far I've worked in a few elementary schools and at the high school. I plan to start my Masters in Teaching soon so I can become a full-time regular teacher.

Last week was homecoming week at the high school. It was pretty nostalgic for me. I loved hearing all the student drama - who's going out with who, who hates homecoming, who can't find a dress....it was all very exciting. I even went to the spirit assembly and cheered for the crowned homecoming queen and king!

What's even more funny is that there is almost as much drama at the elemenatry schools as at the high school. In one 3rd grade class, two boys (Justin and Austin) had a crush on the same girl, Ashley. They wrote her initials all over their journals, couldn't stop talking about how cute she was, and teased her at recess. One of the other girls in the class told me that Ashley was bossy. To that Justin said with a gleam in his eye, "I know....that's why I like her!" How Ashley feels is still a mystery.

Oh, and one of my favorite things about working at the high school: writing hall passes. It's awesome. It makes me feel like I have all sorts of power. It's great!

I'm also working part-time at the Buckle store in the mall. I wasn't sure how I'd like it at first - it is retail after all. But, I really think I'm going to love it. This week was my first week, so it was pretty much all training. I've mastered all the denim fits for both men and women and I've brainstormed how to "outfit" our guests. I also get an incredible employee discout - 40% off!!! Unfortunately (for you), I'm the only one that can enjoy the discount. The challenge is going to be to not spend all the money I make.

1 comments:

Emily said...

40% off! I'm outta here to apply at my local buckle! That is too awesome!