Monday, October 13, 2008

Smashing Pumpkins....Literally

The Saturday before last we took a family outing to Fir Point Farms. Maren, Blake and baby Braden were in town, which made it even more exciting. Unfortunately, Toren was at work and missed out.

Though it was kind of raining and cold out, there were tons of people gathered at the farms...and for one main reason: to watch 1000 pounds worth of pumpkins smash a car. That's right, they hoisted up 2 huge pumpkins (totaling 1000 pounds) on a crane and got ready send them crashing down on a car.


We waited....and waited....and waited...and waited with great anticipation. For some reason they couldn't get those pumpkins to drop. Workers had to bring the pumpkins down slowly three times and retie the ropes. Finally, after about 45 minutes of waiting, those pumpkins plummeted to the car below. The smash was worth every minute of waiting.


Unfortunately the camera on my battery died and I couldn't get a video of the smashing, but below are a few pictures, though they don't quite do the phenomenon justice.


3 comments:

Maren and Blake said...

I will send you the video so you can add it to your post. It was so fun. I wish we lived closer too.

Leah and Joe said...

Holy Cow!! I didnt even know there was a such thing as pumpkins that big! Definitly put the video on the blog!

Brent and Mallory said...

WOW! I really wish we oculd have been there to be there!