Monday, May 5, 2008

Marco Polo

I promised Toren a few weeks ago that I'd write a post about one of the greatest aspects of the summer for him: Marco Polo.

Before you assume you know what Marco Polo is, read on.

It's actually a hybrid version of the game you're familiar with. You know the basics: it's played in a swimming pool, one person yells "Marco," the others respond with "Polo," and the person who's IT (the "Marco") attempts to tag one of the others. The difference? The others must also try to tag the "Marco" without him tagging them at the same time. The others receive points for successfully tagging the "Marco." The first round ends when the "Marco" tags one of the others. The person tagged subtracts 3 points from their score, and round 2 begins. After the 3rd round ends the players tally their points and the person with the lowest number has a choice: become the new "Marco" or do a Nesty into the pool (a back flop). If the loser chooses to do a Nesty then they aren't penalized. However, if they chose to become the new "Marco" then they receive one Strike. If a player acquires three Strikes they are forced to do a Nesty. And that's the game.

The guys swear it's intense, and the other girls and I get a kick out of watching them play around in the pool like little boys. As long as the weather's nice and the pool's full, they'll play Marco Polo every day this summer.

They even have an official Marco Polo blog.

Oh, and did I mention that they play in Speedos? It's true. And disgusting.


3 comments:

Maren and Blake said...

That sounds like Toren.

Heidi's Heartland said...

I am glad that he is YOUR husband - speedo's really that is just wrong on all acounts!

Love Mum Gailey

BrittanyB said...

I'm totally grossed out by the fact that they are in such close proximity to each other in those speedo's. Ew Toren, Ew.