Thursday, September 27, 2012

Quick Trip to the Burg

My favorite sister graduated from BYU-Idaho this summer.  My mom and I drove over for the ceremony.  I was so excited to go.  I hadn't been to Rexburg since 2007, and a lot has changed since then.  Plus, I LOVED college, and was just excited to relive my glory days a little bit.

We left late Wednesday night and drove five hours to Spokane.  Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) there was some sort of conference in town and most of the hotels were completely booked up.  The only available room we could find was a Jacuzzi suite -- complete with kitchen, 2 bathrooms, huge open Jacuzzi, couches, and (of course) a black light and stars on the ceiling.  It was very romantic...if you're into the stars on the ceiling type of thing.


We slept for a few hours and finished the remaining 8 hours to Rexburg.  Well, we actually drove straight to Idaho Falls to meet Laura and Scott for dinner.  My BFF, Amanda, and her husband, Jason, joined us too.  They were actually driving from Salt Lake to Spokane for the weekend.  We enjoyed a delicious Texas Roadhouse meal while we laughed about all the stupid things we did in college.  I sure to miss my BFF.  Maybe someday our dream of living right next door to each other will come true.

The next morning we woke up early and went to the Rexburg temple.  The last time I saw it the temple was still in construction.  It really is quite stunning with all the surrounding farmland.  Afterward we took a little tour of campus and the new bookstore.  All the changes are AMAZING, but it was also quite sad for me.  It just looked so different.  To be honest it looked a little less "ghetto."  It looked nice and sophisticated, but I kinda liked the charming ghetto-ness that I was used to.  I stalked up on a hearty--but necessary--amount of chocolate-covered cinnamon bears at the bookstore.  We polished off the afternoon with a trip to Craigo's (which I think has a new name, but whatever).


The graduation was that night.  Laura and Scott were both participating in the program (in the choir and Laura said the opening prayer), so they were able to sit on the stage.  That also meant that they received their diplomas first.  We were able to sneak out with them and take picture while all the other graduates were still walking.  And then we were back on the road -- just 24 hours after we'd arrived.

It was a great trip.  I was able to reminisce on my college years, but also to appreciate the fact that those years are over.  And I'm so happy with where I am now.  But maybe I'll do a little blog walk down memory lane in a future post.  Congratulations Laura and Scott!!

0 comments: