Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Thailand: Bike Ride to Koh Kret

I woke up early one morning to go on a bike ride with my dad.  We were going to visit a small island across the river called Koh Kret.  The island is small -- about six miles around.   On the island is a small pottery village.  The people make the most beautiful clay pots and vases.  During the floods a couple months ago the entire island was covered in water, and the people are still recovering. It was dry for our bike ride, but we could still see the water lines.


The top right picture is the "ferry" we took to the island.  We just stood with our bikes on the very front of the boat.  I wish I would have taken more pictures of the village, but it's hard when you're on a bike.  Most of the ride was along skinny paved sidewalks right through where the people lived.  It was humbling to see how they lived (plywood-wall one-room houses or worse....which had recently been flooded for weeks), and yet how happy they were.  They all waved, smiled, and said "hello" as we rode by.  There was something rather sweet about the simplicity of their lives that I almost envied.  It was a memorable experience for me.

0 comments: