Tuesday, November 16, 2010

We Call Her The Boo Bear

Or Booshkins, or Booey, or Boo Boo, or any other variation that rolls off the tongue.  She is my sister and today is her birthday. 

Laura is a peculiar girl.  Peculiar in a good way...a really good way.  Let me explain by way of a few of  my fondest memories. 

When she was little she slid down the stairs in a laundry basket and knocked herself out.  We called 9-1-1 and a firetruck arrived.  Before the firefighters could really assess her, Laura stood up an exclaimed "I want some pizza!"  That's my girl.

As a little girl Laura LOVED to sing and dance and dress up in tutu's and leotards.  We have one of the funniest home videos of her dancing and singing in the living room to Shoo Fly, Don't Bother Me.  Which reminds me -- she also has great taste in music.

Every once in a while, when we were lucky or perhaps looking particularly homely (evidence in the pictures below), my Mom would take us out on a shopping trip.  Within minutes I had my arms weighed down with clothes I wanted to try on while my Mom was pleading with Laura to pick something -- anything -- out.  Laura would insist that she was okay and Mom didn't need to spend any money on her.  She would have rather my Mom spent the money on the rest of us.  Peculiarly selfless. 

She never had an awkward phase (mine, on the other hand, lasted a good 10 years).  She is a dame.  An absolute beauty.  And she's one of those girls that doesn't need to do anything to look good.  She'll typically toss her hair up in a messy bun and it looks like every silky strand was strategically placed for optimum style.  I admit, I envy her hair.

A couple of years ago Laura took home Best in Show for a drawing she did of a pair of Converse shoes.   She is a talented girl. She could seriously (and probably someday will) make some good money with her artistic skills.

And, my favorite thing about the Booshkins, is that she is hysterical.  I've enjoyed many painful belly laughs with her.  She cracks me up in a way that no one else can. 

Well, what can I say, I'm a lucky girl to have Laura for a sister. Happy Birthday Boo Bear!!

3 comments:

Matt and Kristine said...

What a cute post! I didn't think your age difference was that great, but it looks like more than five years. Maybe more? Well today is a special day, I have a couple other friends in the ward whose birthdays are also today. Woo Hoo!

Heidi's Heartland said...

Well said Audrey! I have amazing daughters and love them both!

Mom

Brent and Mallory said...

Happy Birthday Laura! Sounds like you two have had more good memories than practically anyone!