Thursday, December 8, 2011

Thailand: The Arrival

Well, it's official, we are never coming home.  Never.  And you probably think it's because Thailand is so breathtakingly exotic that I could picture myself living here for the rest of my days.  It is, but we are never coming home because I will NEVER get on an airplane with Austin again.  Never. It may have even been worse than childbirth.

The first leg of the flight, from Seattle to Taipei, is 13 hours.  We were an hour late taking off (after we had already boarded the plane), which made it really 14 hours.  Austin slept for 4.  Yes, FOUR of those hours.  And it is nearly impossible to keep a toddler busy on a crowded airplane for TEN hours.  If someone had given me the option to jump off of that airplane I probably would have done it.  I brought tons of think to entertain him, including a DVD player, and lots of snacks.  It was all totally useless.  He did want to do anything but run around.  Needless to say, we spent a lot of time in and around the bathrooms and walking up and down the aisles.  It was brutally painful, but we survived that leg.


Our layover in Taipei was a little stressful because Austin was so incredibly exhausted that he had a million times more energy than normal.  Luckily we found a nice Hello Kitty play place that he ran around on for a good hour.  The next flight, from Taipei to Bangkok was only 3.5 hours and he slept for 2.5 of those.  I didn't sleep during either of the flights, but I was finally able to enjoy the in-flight meal and watch The Help (amazing, by the way).


After our 22-hour trek we were finally reunited with my family.  I admit, I bawled my eyes out in relief and exhaustion.  But it was over and I had a month of upper 80-degree weather days to look forward to.

3 comments:

Maren said...

I am so sorry. I have been thinking about you so much. I especially thought and prayed about you during your flight. obviosuly I don't have enough faith for my prayers to come true. I will work on that. The picture of Austin on the slide is incredibly cute thought. How can kids be so terrible? They really can. Hopefully Toren can help on the way back. Or just upgrade yourself to first class and let him do all the work.

Matt and Kristine said...

Wow, you were anticipating horrible and you were right! lol so sorry. That sounds like torture. Too bad you couldn't have taken a sleeping pill and let him run around alone. Now you are there, enjoy your family!

Brent and Mallory said...

Wow, I would just crate him on the way home! Just kidding of course. I don't think I could ever crate one of my cutest nephews! Sorry it was so miserable though!